This maker aims to make wines that reflect the spirit of the place. Lucky for them, that spirit (and place) is stunning. The high-altitude source of this pinot offers much more than just great views. The hot days and cool nights give it real lift and life. Each grape reaches full concentration in the famously well-drained Moutere Gravels, making a powerful and elegant wine.
This has all the opulence you’d expect from sunshine-drenched NZ pinot, though it’s a little more poised than much of the potent stuff from Otago. You’re in for a mouthful of chocolate-dipped cherries to start, with dark plums and soft dried herbs to follow. It’s a bottleful of character. Soulful stuff, you might say.
Black Market deals are only made possible if we don’t reveal the maker’s brand on site. The wines are the genuine article, absolutely no cleanskins or fake brands, just dangerously good value. You won’t find out what it is until it hits your doorstep, but you won’t regret it. Just keep it on the down low.
Full price $51.00 from the winery on 31 January 2019.
Mofo member price is always best price, 100% Happiness Guaranteed. If you find a better price to buy this wine elsewhere, contact our customer team now and we’ll beat it.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Pinot Noir
- Serving Temp.
Nelson, right at the top of the south island, vies for New Zealand's best wine region. Its wine history dates back to 1800s German settlers, but the modern industry kicked off in the 1970s. It boasts a vibrant arts and café scene, and although you will see New Zealand's usual suspects (pinot, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and aromatic whites), many of the wines are as eclectic as the people who live here.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Chicken and sesame salad
- 1 barbecued chicken
- 120g baby spinach, washed, dried
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Remove flesh from chicken. Shred chicken. Place into a bowl. Add spinach, carrot and onions.
- Half-fill a frying pan with water. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Add asparagus. Cook until just tender. Drain. Refresh under cold water.
- Make dressing Whisk together orange juice, tahini, and salt and pepper.
- Add asparagus and dressing to chicken mixture. Toss to combine. Spoon into bowls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve.
The wines we remember are about the moments. The people, the places. That’s life. Here are some ideas...