Outstanding consistency from this half/half sangiovese cabernet blend typifies Toscana IGT (aka Super Tuscan), with all the cherries and sandy tannins you’d expect, plus structure, plums and blackcurrants from cabernet and a few good licks of chocolate and vanilla from judicious oak use.
So here’s where we are, in a world where the likes of Gaia and Sassicaia have paved the way for entry levels from Italy of this quality, just because they don’t conform to outmoded rules.
Let the Italians experiment, I say!
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 50% Sangiovese, 50% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Serving Temp.
From the producer
Born on the soft gentle Tuscan hills, from a warm hard land on a par with the farmers that work it, Aros has an intense ruby red colour with scents of ripe red fruit and sweet spices. Gratifying and balanced on the palate, long and persistent finale.
Ah...Tuscany. The home of rolling hills, extra virgin olive oil, Steak Florentine and, of course, Chianti. Everything here is about the earth, and it shows through in the produce. Earthy, vinous, purely rustic and unadulterated. Some of our most enjoyable experiences have come from here. They don't generally come cheap, but they're well worth it.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Steak with chimichurri sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed chillies
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 large rib-eye steaks
- Preheat barbecue or chargrill to high. Place 1 tbs sea salt in a jar with 1/2 cup (125ml) warm water and stir to dissolve. Add remaining ingredients, except steak, and shake well. Brush steaks with a little oil and season. Barbecue until cooked to your liking (1-2 minutes each side for medium rare). Rest for 5 minutes.
- Shake sauce again, discarding bay leaf. Place steaks on plates, drizzle with sauce and serve with baked sweet potatoes and iceberg wedges (see related recipe).