Ravensworth Sangiovese 2018
- Medium bodied
- Canberra District
When you look at the dry, summer hills around Hall, Murrumbateman, Hilltops and Gundagai, it’s easy to see why vignerons thought it would be a good spot for Sangiovese. There are easy comparisons to make to Italy’s Tuscany region- the spiritual home of Sangiovese. Replace the olive groves with gum trees and the two are quite similar. Warm, dry summers in both areas work well for ripening ‘Sangio’. This little number certainly plays a strong Aussie hand with clean, fresh flavours of Christmas cherries and raspberry, which are lithe and lively. Sangiovese’s acid retention works a treat here - as do its chalky tannins. It’s a complete package in the medium-bodied vein. Fifteen vintages down, this wine is really starting to hit its straps.
“Fruit sourced from several vineyards; a savoury outcome with dusty potpourri, cherries and pips with some alpine herbs and cedar. While it's more medium-bodied, the raspy tannins have a bit of grunt.”
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Canberra District
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Sangiovese
- Serving Temp.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, mashed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 400g beef rump steak, thinly sliced
- 40g packet fajita seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 8 large flour tortillas
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine tomato and coriander in a bowl. Combine avocado and 2 teaspoons lime juice in a separate bowl.
- Combine steak, seasoning and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring, until golden and softened. Transfer to a bowl. Cover to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook steak, in batches, until cooked to your liking. Combine steak, onion mixture and remaining lime juice in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas following packet directions. Serve tortillas with tomato mixture, avocado mixture, beef mixture and lemon wedges.