La Bollina Gavi DOCG 2018
Piedmont reds get all the press, while the whites are often sadly overlooked. Lucky for us, really, cause that makes them awesome bang for buck. The grape is cortese, the flavour unique. Ideal for spring-inspired dishes, these crisp, clean whites are all about jasmine, blossom, white peach and minerality. No self-respecting vino italiano is without a good backbone of acidity that makes them amongst the most food-friendly in the world, either. When the warm weather kicks in, leave your mates to their ponderously dark barbera. You’ll nip about, cool as a cucumber, with some seriously refreshing gavi in your glass.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Cortese
- Serving Temp.
Italian wine regions are by far some of the most difficult to learn about. With over 350 official wine varieties, it can be very easy to get lost. Never fear though, you'll see some of your old friends such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Sangiovese as well as some new friends such as Chianti, Arneis, Fiano, Nebbiolo and Vermentino. Italian wines are a match made in heaven for food, but can easily be enjoyed on their own. Good food and good wine - THAT is the Italian way.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Lime and cumin chargrilled chicken with mango chilli salsa
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 large Coles RSPCA Approved whole chicken, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Grated zest of 2 limes
- 2 mangoes, sliced
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 210°C or 190°C fan. Use a mortar and pestle to pound garlic, cumin seeds and salt until a coarse paste forms. Stir in lime zest, lime juice and oil. Rub all over chicken.
- Preheat an ovenproof chargrill pan on high. Cook the chicken, skin-side down until charred. Turn and cook for 1 min to seal. Place pan in oven and bake for 30 mins.
- Combine the mango, chilli, basil and mint in a bowl. Cut the chicken into smaller pieces and transfer to a platter. Drizzle over the pan juices and serve with the salsa.