Yarra chardonnay at it’s finest. 2017 was a perfect vintage for the valley just northeast of Melbourne, and Soumah have capitalised on it with staggering panache. It’s not too flamboyant a style; it’s not one to jump up and grab you by the nose-hairs. Instead, it beguiles with limitless length and texture. There’s peaches and rockmelon, grapefruit and lemon, drying figs and toasted cashews - layer upon layer of interest and complexity all in perfect balance. There’s gentle tension under the surface from the tight acid backbone, adding a little drama to the palate. The whole show goes on for an age, drawing you deeper and deeper in with every sip. It’ll only get better with time, this is just the beginning of the story. Grab some for now, some for tomorrow, and some for every year till 2025 (and maybe even beyond). Epic chardonnay.
“Pleasantly nutty bouquet, with a trace of toast: gunflinty and youthful. It's tight and medium-bodied, firm and dry, the finish clean and refreshing, very long and more-ish. A wine of excellent concentration which is very young and will improve greatly with a little cellar-time. A smashing chardonnay.”
Full price $95.00 from the winery on 14 March 2019.
Mofo member price is always best price, 100% Happiness Guaranteed. If you find a better price to buy this wine elsewhere, contact our customer team now and we’ll beat it.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Yarra Valley
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Chardonnay
- Serving Temp.
From the producer
The Mendosa clone creates rich, elegant Chardonnay and we selected this for our first Equilibrio. The wine is opulent, generous and composed with good oak integration all wound together with a citrus and nectarine, creamy freshness.
The concept behind our Equilibrio range is to promote the very best barrels, clonal mix and new oak integration to create a small quantity that will benchmark each vintage potential. Some would call it Reserve but we call it Equilibrio as, at the end of the day, it is all about harmony and balance.
With a history spanning over 175 years, there's no doubt that Yarra Valley is one of Australia's most celebrated cool climate wine regions. Victoria's first wine growing district and today home to over 80 wineries specialising in Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Shiraz and some of our country's best sparkling wines. With stunning hillside, lush greenery, vast space and an enviable climate - it's no wonder that medals, trophies and coveted points are plentiful here.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Prawn, Mint & Lemon skewers
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long fresh red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbs chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbs finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 900g large green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- Olive oil spray
- Fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- CAPSICUM MAYONNAISE
- 235g (1 cup) whole-egg mayonnaise (see note)
- 2 tbs Always Fresh Fusions Red Pepper Tapenade
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- To make the capsicum mayonnaise, process the mayonnaise, tapenade and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine the garlic, chilli, mint, lemon rind, oil and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add the prawns and stir to coat. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Thread prawns onto skewers. season with salt and pepper. Heat a barbecue grill or chargrill on high. spray the skewers with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Top with mint. Serve with the capsicum mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
The wines we remember are about the moments. The people, the places. That’s life. Here are some ideas...